My personal blog about emerging technologies and their impact on the human condition. I like genetics, nanotechnology, and robotics. I'm a software developer by profession.
My Birthday.
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Another year. Another birthday. Things have definitely scaled up a notch in the past year
The kids are on spring break. My brother and I thought it a good idea to drop by and say hi to the kid cousins. I promised Jorry I would help him build his bipedal robot with his Lego Mindstorms. We ended up building the original robotic like buggy with touch sensors. Pretty cool watching the thing move after programming the NXT box. The programming part of the NXT kit is probably the trickiest. Took Jorry about an hour and a half to figure out how to program a back and forth movement by touching the front and back sensors. He learns fast though. I was busy still trying to grapple the bits and pieces of the system by going through the manual. In other news, I took a career workshop today. It was there I announced to the group that I wanted to become a biomedical engineer specializing in robotic prosthetics.
I'm sitting at Starbucks on Robson and Thurlow as I write this blog. Days when I need to unwind I make the trek downtown to this particular spot. It's the perfect place to people watch. It's got a certain vibrancy not found anywhere else in Vancouver. People of all ethnicities gather here on a daily basis. Families, friends, business folk and more. Conversations are often spoken in mother tongues, like Mandarin, leaving me envious to eavesdrop in their stories, gossip, or business transactions. This place, it resonates a particular atmosphere; the smell of exotic coffee, the small bursts of steam from cappuccino machines, the dim lights, the lethargic shoppers, and the curious, talkative, foreign exchange students. It's this atmosphere that draws me here on a near weekly basis. It's this atmosphere that puts me at ease. My sanctuary, placed right in the hub of busyness - the core of downtown - no less. This cafe, I'd say is a concoction of contradictions. It...
An email addressed to my girlfriend: Just thought I'd share this in my view of global climate change. Glance over this report conducted by the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) highlighting the likelihood of the global climate change due to human contributions. If you look at the table on SPM-23, scientists of the panel believe increased drought and cyclone activity isn't likely to be caused by human activity. Which was part of my argument earlier before you cut me off. I understand that there is increased CO2 emissions in the atmosphere and we are experiencing warmer days and nights in (some) parts of the world, and the polar ice caps are melting, but in a nutshell, even scientists who conducted the study aren't 100% sure that climate change will lead to a doomsday scenario.Climate change will continue well into 2100s and it may be hotter Earth, but they are developing technologies to curb that growth and maybe even reverse it; see below ar...
Comments
Post a Comment