A change of pace.

So ... according to one reader: self-reflective blogging is considered narcissistic and image crafting. In regards to my blog (as the remark was directed squarely at me), both statements aren't to be taken lightly, I mean, what does one do when is labelled narcissistic? Ignore it? Laugh it off? Insult back? My upbringing has taught me to remain calm and just take insults. Which I do - kinda.

Anyway, in response to being called a narcissist and an image-crafter, I've decided to change the tone and content of my blog to something more meaningful and contextual. I originally started this blog to trace my thoughts on technological advances that serve to transcend humanity, I've diverged since then, but as of this post I'm getting back on track. From here on, this blog will serve to inform the curious reader about the technological singularity, and if not, then I would advise you to either stop reading here on and go read another blog or whatever.

So the topic for today is Future Medicine. I happened on this profile of Daniel Kraft, and on his biography page was a link to a TED Talk I watched a few months ago. It's a comprehensive overview about the exponential advances of medicine and the technology that has helped it evolve. In the video he highlights the integration of artificial intelligence to aid physician diagnosis, robotics to aid surgery, and wearable computing to monitor one's health and alert the proper channels to create an active form of patient care. Focusing on the artificial intelligence part, I'd have to agree with Daniel with his prediction that a computer (with exaflops of computing power) may one day outsmart a physician or any healthcare related role such as a nurse or dietician.  IBM is already training Watson to sort through medicine journals to help doctors and nurses to diagnose diseases and provide a set of solutions, which as of this year, according to Forbes, about 90% of hospital staff follow its guidance. IBM's Watson is projected to be in full commercial use by 2020.

Going off on a tangent here to close off my post, I've seen a relative few of these futurist talks and they all have a prophetic undertone with a serious purpose. They try to enlighten and educate the public in knowing that technology is rapidly advancing to a point where it may outpace humanity or merge with it. This information is necessary as we all need to prepare ourselves in one way or another for the coming New Machine Age (see Andrew Mcaffee TED Talk). The world is on the cusp of a new era but the general public isn't aware of it. TED Talks is one communication vehicle to grant awareness, but people need to start talking about it more; more dialogue needs to continue via other media such as radio, newspaper print, and popular social outlets like Facebook. I know it has spread to some degree, but the dissemination of awareness  shouldn't stop until the technological singularity becomes an opening point to make in everyday conversation; kinda like talking about the weather.

It's important. Let's discuss it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Future Career.

Fat Burger.

Engineers.