Necessity.

An Aesop Fable once told the story of a crow...

... perishing with thirst, saw a pitcher, and, hoping to find water, flew to it with great delight. When he reached it, he discovered to his grief that it contained so little water that he could not possibly get at it. He tried everything he could think of to reach the water, but all his efforts were in vain. At last he collected as many stones as he could carry and dropped them one by one with his beak into the pitcher, until he brought the water within his reach, and thus saved his life.

The moral of the fable notes that necessity is the mother of invention. At work today, I wasn't content with my keyboard and the repetitive nature of copy pasting stuff for filing tickets. So, I downloaded AutoHotKey and scripted about 20% of my routine tasks, ie creating a ticket, copy pasting body of email, etc. The effort paid off, I haven't run any tests to quantify how much time I'm saving, but I am delighted everytime I use a hotkey to automate my workflow.

Scripting is neat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Future Career.

Turkey. A Travel Log.

Fat Burger.